Sunday, October 27, 2013

Visualizing with Technology


Between discoveryeducation.com and safarimontage.com I prefer discovery. It may be because the information appeared readily available and I didn't want to spend too much time digging for information on the websites. It is very tempting to skim pages when reading online. The chapter nine about Visualizing with Technologies was mostly about how to use technology to help students visualize mathematics. This would be very helpful when trying to teach such abstract topics. Some examples were about biology and using technology to show how cells or chemicals interact. Using technology to demonstrate something like osmosis or cell division would be very helpful because it would save so much time for the teacher. Instead of having to sketch out a doodle about what happens within cells (or atoms or whatever else) the teacher can pull up a video or digital illustration of the process.
As a growing English teacher, I was looking for examples of how technology could be used in my future classroom, and I found no examples in chapter nine. I must be creative in my teaching and integrating technology into lessons. I do feel that Visualizing with Technology has great potential and can be a great tool, especially for illustrating mathematical and scientific ideas. I am not so confident in the use of technology for illustrating English and other similar topics.
Visualizing with technology can have a positive impact on the learning process. As one of those students who needs a visual image to learn better, I really would love to be able to use technology in this way. The trouble is finding a way to incorporate visuals with my subject of interest. 
Thomas Suarez is one of those rare prodigy children. Seeing kids like him who have already accomplished so much makes me wonder what sort of parents he has. Do they encourage his learning and using technolgy? And he's already such a good public speaker!  He must attend a very great school that can provide for and nourish hungry young minds such as his. His story gives me hope that maybe I can impact students who will make such great leaps as he has. 

No comments:

Post a Comment