Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Information Literacy and MAPping


Opening my browser window I click in the search box in the top right hand corner. I type my search information, and then I scroll through the links that appear after a few seconds.  This is how I usually perform an internet search.  Though it’s easier to just use the AVG search engine provided by my antivirus protection, I also prefer to use Bing.com to search topics.  Usually my searches are for trivial things like “Does Jack Black wear glasses?” I searched for this information earlier today through Safari on my iPhone.  I merely typed “Jack Black” and then went through images of the actor.  (No, the only picture I saw of him wearing glasses was where he wore sunshades.) I can find this sort of information rapidly, and I haven’t had much need for an in-depth internet search until school started up a few weeks ago.  I was not aware before I took the tech-savvy quiz of how much I didn’t know.  I knew that I was not a computer whiz, but I know enough to survive the day-to-day problems.  Some things that I discovered just today was that “.com” does not stand for “computer” as I always assumed: it stands for "company".  Neither does “.net” stand for “internet” but rather it stands for “networks.”  There were also many other endings to pages that I didn’t even know existed or never paid attention to before.  I took note of them and I plan to make use of this information in the future. 

My habits of internet searching will take a while to change.  I have done searches many times before, several times a day.  Unless I need to specifically find information from educational sites outside the U.S., I will have to search for the notes I took and use the proper “host:ac.za” or whatever other specific search requirements.   This knowledge will affect my teaching because when I do utilize the country codes (such as .za) I will be able to find specific information so much easier.  Finding sources for papers I want the students to write and finding information for my own needs will be much faster.  Why didn’t I learn about this in high school when I was forced to take a keyboarding class and a BCIS course? I still don’t know what BCIS stands for! I certainly hope that future students will be affected in a positive way by my knowledge of how to conduct a proper internet search.  It will help them when I am well prepared to teach.

Although there’s nothing wrong with the way that I usually search for information on the internet, it is very time consuming and sometimes counterproductive.  I chose to perform the assigned activities with the “Victorian Robots” link.  Yes, I partly chose it because my name was in the link. Anyway, I found out that there are many search engines I didn’t know about! Not only that, but once I used those engines I discovered that one of the links from http://bigredhair.com/robots/index.html led to another link that took me right back to the homepage.  Did the author of the robots page cite a link that just led back to itself? Or was it intended to promote the webpage? This information, along with some other information I found when I searched for “Victorian robots” led me to distrust the webpage.  Did those robots ever exist or are they urban legends? I was already skeptical in the first place and when I used the information from this class I discovered that I need to read more carefully into the websites I come across.  If most people were more “information literate” and had the ability to read critically, we may all be better off.

References


Guinan, P. (2001). Mechanical Marvels of the Nineteenth Century. [Web. 2011]. Retrieved from http://www.bigredhair.com/robots/index.html

USA TODAY (2008) Web Guide;  Robots in the Victorian Era. [Web post]. Retrieved September 18, 2013, from http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/webguide/hotsites/2003/2003-11-10-hotsites.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment